Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Can you train a cat?

Now that the Christmas tree is up and decorated our cat, Jasper, has been wanting to destroy our tree by playing with it. This has been driving me up the wall. Spraying hasn't worked and is frankly a little dangerous. So I am beginning to try a different approach, clicker training. I figure if I can at least train Jasper enough to come when called I can distract him from the Christmas tree.

I started a little training yesterday by familiarizing him with the clicker (purchased at PetSmart for $1.50) and treat system. I have ordered two books on the subject and will try some other training today.

Right now to keep him away from the tree I am distracting him with extra play time. I have got all his favorite mice out from under the couch for him to play by himself and have played with his other favorite toys. We will see how the day goes.

1 comment: